Whether your Cesarean section is elected or due to an emergency, your body will have a long journey of recovery after you’ve birthed your new bundle of joy. Taking the best measures during your C-section recovery time is essential. Here are the most important dos and don’ts of C-section aftercare.
Physical Activity after a C-section
One of the biggest hurdles after a C-section is making sure you avoid physical activity until you’re fully healed. This is especially tough since you will be caring for your new baby as well. Here are some guidelines to follow in order to help your C-section scar heal quickly:
- Ask for help and support. You just had major surgery and birthed an entire baby, it’s completely normal to ask for help during this time.
- Take time to sit and bond with your baby. Enjoy these precious moments is important.
- Rest when you are tired. Recovering from your C-section will take time and sleeping is the best medicine to help your body recharge.
- Lift anything heavier than your baby.
- Try to do it all yourself. This is a sure way to cause an accident. Lean on your support system as much as possible.
- Take the stairs. Walking up and down the stairs is taxing on the body. Try to avoid them when you can.
Incision Care after a C-section
Your doctor or surgeon will leave you specific instructions on how to care for your incision after the surgery. Keep in mind, C-section scar healing can be lengthened if you don’t follow them very closely.
- Keep the area clean and dry.
- Use warm, soapy water to wash the wound area every day, usually during your shower.
- Begin applying C-section scar products for healing. Rejuvaskin offers a C-Section Scar Heal Kit created to minimize scarring specifically from C-sections. It includes Scar Fx® Silicone Sheeting, RejuvaSil® Silicone Scar Gel, and hypoallergenic medical tape to provide an easy-to-use system to reduce scarring after a C-section.
- Use any products to clean your wound that your doctor hasn’t recommended.
- Laugh or cough without applying pressure to the incision first to avoid opening the stitches.
- Take baths until your incision is healed.
Healing from a C-section can be taxing. Rejuvakin’s C-section Scar Heal Kit can relieve the added worry of the possible scar it will leave behind. Following these dos and don’ts of C-Section recovery along with your doctor’s advice should make the scar healing process much easier. That way you can focus your time and energy on what matters most: your new baby.